Monday, February 11, 2013

All Roads Lead to Kansas

Friends. Hello.

I can scarcely believe it has been 6 days since I've been here. (A record??)

Let's just start at the beginning.

I was supposed to leave last Thursday at 1 pm for a trip. A fun trip. True to form, I dropped Silas off at pre-school that morning then jaunted off for a cup of hot tea with a friend instead of, you know, packing and stuff.

We laughed about my legendarily horrific travel luck, feeling smug enough to joke as we looked out the window and into a mild and sunny February day. I believe the exact quote was, "You'll be fine today. It's gorgeous out."

Yada yada, bagel, tea, hahaha, yippy skippy, Screeeeeeeeeeeeeeeech! An automated call came in saying my connecting flight out of Chicago was canceled.

But not to fear, they rescheduled it for the following day.

I will be honest, my voice got a little crackly when I called to tell Cory. I may or may not have texted a cuss abbreviation. I cannot tell you how many times this has happened to me. (find proof here.) 

I had every intention of posting this picture along with a brief explanation of where I was headed. (Let's just say there was a generally unsupportive vibe happening among the Smalls regarding Mama's departure.) But I spent my remaining hour on hold with United, who was experiencing "unusually high call volume".

Long story short, I made it to my destination a mere 16 hours late. I read an entire book in the terminal at O'Hare and started another one. I dined at Frontera (yum) and people watched. (Highlight: The guy with the gold stud earring, metal-tipped cowboy boots, mullet, and a cartoonish pot belly nursing a beer and schooling all of us on eating all of his travel meals at McDonalds so he can pocket his per diems "and spend 'em on booze".)

I will say this: our terminal was decidedly optimistic, even though the lady stood at the desk telling anyone who asked, "From what I can see, your plane should be here any time." She said this exact phrase for nine hours while all of the gates around us filled and emptied and other people lucky enough not to be on FPFG's flight made it smoothly to wherever they were heading.

Once I hit Kansas, things improved exponentially.

That Kansas. It was so good to me.

It made me forget my troubles...right up to the moment that I cut my finger whilst wedging a lime. Or, as it was aptly put to me while I was trying not to faint, "You filleted it." (But just a little.)

They handed me a margarita, fed me well, and the rest is history.

I'll tell you all the splashy details tomorrow.

For now, I have some recuperating to do, seeing as how I arrived home last night at 3 a.m. following many delays and cancellations and overall "you have got to be kidding"-ness.

But you probably already suspected that.


Wanna make up for lost time? Go here to read a quick little interview with me where I share a truth, a tip and a find. I am LOVING the new site 3 Things for Moms. It's a great way to find fun new blogs and it's a quick and easy read with its "bite sized" posts. I'm shouting it from the roof-tops. It's genius! I've already found some awesome new blogs to follow and I've seen some of my blog besties over there like her, her, and her.