Saturday, June 27, 2009

My Friday/Saturday Adventure

Last evening we hit Brooke's 30th birthday party and had such a fun time! We arrived home around 9:30. By around 10 pm I was having stomach issues, on top of a scorching sunburn on my back, courtesy of the deceptively strong Silver Beach rays. I retired early and proceeded to toss and turn for the rest of the night. My stomach hurt SO bad. It did not feel pukey sick, it was just very literally sore and painful.

5 a.m. - Stumbled out of bed and took a Gas-X, because it was the closest thing I had to tummy medicine.

7 a.m. - We decided to cancel our Saturday plans in Indy.

9 a.m. - Called my nurse Mama to whine about my tummy.

10:45 a.m. - Washed my face and brushed my teeth, since I was too ill to do it the previous night. Made an unsuccessful attempt to put on a pair of jeans, opted instead for a loose-fitting skirt and t-shirt.

11:00 a.m. - Stopped by the Waky clinic. Closed.

11:05 a.m. - Stopped by Dr. Foster's office. Closed.

11:10 a.m . - Made an urgent coffee run (for Cory) to McDonalds, then headed to the Goshen ER.

11:30 a.m. - Received a call back from Dr. Foster. He said we were smart to go to the ER.

1:00 p.m. - Had 6 tubes of blood drawn and peed in a cup.

2:00 p.m. - Had an IV put in, along with the most wacked-out drug I've ever taken.

3:00 to 4:00 p.m. - Felt like I was out of my mind and like I could not care less if another person came in an poked and prodded my tummy.

4:03 p.m. - Realized that this is how some people end up with prescription pain killer addictions.

4:30 p.m. - Officially admitted into the hospital, complete with my own room.

5:00 p.m. - Wheeled down to surgery.

5:15 p.m. - Had to ask a nurse to itch my nose/upper lip/chin 3x because both arms were strapped down.

5:18 p.m. - The last time I looked at the clock, in the OR, just after noticing that someone had turned on a radio. Not enough time to process the concept of surgeons listening to pop music while they operate.

5:50 p.m. - Wheeled back up to my room, with a newly repaired Strangulated Umbilical Hernia.

7:00 p.m. - Wheeled out to the car. My eyes still aren't focusing properly, but I am starting to care again.

8:00 p.m. - Home again. Very tired. Very hungry.

Am I in the Twlight Zone? More importantly, am I 83 years old?


  1. I am officially horrified!
    I can't believe what you went through. :-(
    I'm so glad you're okay.
    I can't believe you're blogging about it already! Get some rest girl....

    Layla :-)

  2. Oh my gosh! For reals!? That is insane!! So glad that you're okay, and home, and resting. Get well soon!

  3. oh my... I hope you're feeling better today. I'm so sorry you had to go through this.

  4. :O :O :O Oh my goodness. I'm praying for a good recovery. :)

  5. How terrible. I have been out of the modern tech loop and have failed to check everything including this blog. I pray that you recovery quickly and that Cory makes you some chicken soup.

  6. Sis...
    We were worried SICK and ready to pack up and head your way ASAP.. Until Cory put an end to our trip there.... Dad said he'd have been more willing to have us if 'daddy' would remain behind. :)

    Can't wait to see you Tue... What time do you wish for us to arrive?

  7. WHAT IN THE WORLD!!! Shan, I'm so glad you are ok...and i'm so glad it wasn't our food that made you sick or something. Maybe my party was meant to be, that way you weren't in Indy? I'm so sorry! What can I do for you? If you need help with anything let me know. Glad you are ok now.

  8. Shannon-
    Recover quickly! I'll pray for you.

  9. I came over from Kimba's and am sorry to hear about your weekend! Sounds very painful.

    On a different note, I've been on your blog for 30 min now reading through your old posts and just love it! I added you to my reader and plan to stop in more often.

    Feel better soon...

  10. Wow! What a weekend! I hope you feel better soon :)

    ps. I can't believe you've already blogged about this!!

  11. Oh what a weekend. I hope you feel better soon.

  12. How terrible-hope you have a quick recovery!

  13. Oh my - what an adventure. I am even more appreciative of your reply to my blog comment.

    Take care. Get well soon.

    I'll be back - now in my reader :)

  14. That is the craziest thing I have ever heard. Evah. Who knew? You seems so fine at the party. (so fine). Also, I have to ask: did you add a new label just for this or was it the mouse?

  15. wow that is way too much excitement for one day. Still in shock that all that happened in one afternoon and they sent you home just a few hours later. I hope that you are feeling better.

  16. Phew! Good thing you're okay! :)